One of the greatest things about being a book nerd and living in Decatur, Georgia, is the annual (free! open to the public!!) Decatur Book Festival. Last year, I attended several panels and volunteered at the kitchen stage (you can read about it here). The year before that, it was POURING rain, but I still managed to make it to a couple readings (one of which I wrote about here). It is always a good time with fabulous authors, informative panels, and fun readings.
Naturally, I was thrilled when a new hashtag popped up in my Instagram and Twitter feeds last week in celebration of the announcements of the 2015 festival’s keynote speaker (Erica Jong, who will be interviewed onstage by Bad Feminist author Roxane Gay) and full author lineup.
This year’s theme is #READdifferent: “Get out of your comfort zone, get out of your routine, and read something different. With hundreds of authors, tracks, and stages to choose from, how will you #READdifferent at #dbf2015?”
The festival will be held on Labor Day weekend (September 4-6, 2015), and, as usual, has a very promising line-up. Here is a quick peek at some of the authors/activities that look especially exciting.
The festival kicks off on Saturday morning with an adorable children’s parade on the Decatur Square that will be led by Drew Daywalk, the author of The Day the Crayons Quit and soon-to-be-released The Day the Crayons Came Home.
- My favorite unibrowed Top Chef judge (and executive chef of the delicious Empire State South in Atlanta), Hugh Acheson. His latest cookbook is The Broad Fork: Recipes for the Wide World of Vegetables and Fruits.
- Kevin Gillespie, the chubby, bearded ginger who was a Fan Favorite on Top Chef Season 6 and appeared on Top Chef Masters. He is the mastermind behind Gunshow in Atlanta and the soon-to-be-opened Revival in Decatur (which I am awaiting with bated breath!) and will be hyping his cookbook, Pure Pork Awesomeness: Totally Cookable Recipes from Around the World.
- James Beard Award-winning cookbook author Nathalie Dupree (author of the well-known Southern favorite, Mastering the Art of Southern Cooking). She’ll be there to promote her newest cookbook, Mastering The Art of Southern Vegetables.
The YA stage is another stand-out and will feature some excellent authors:
- Libba Bray, author of The Diviners, will be doing a reading from the soon-to-be-released sequel, Lair of Dreams.
- David Levithan, author of a billion lovely books, including The Lover’s Dictionary, will be doing a reading from his soon-to-be-released sequel to Every Day, Another Day.
Other authors who should be fun to see:
- Adam Johnson, author of Pulitzer Prize Winner The Orphan Master’s Son, will be doing a reading from his soon-to-be-released collection of short stories, Fortune Smiles: Stories.
- Celeste Ng will be reading from Everything I Never Told You, the book Amazon named its #1 Best Book of 2014.
- Debut author Angela Flournoy will be reading from The Turner House, an Indie Next List pick for May 2015.
That’s just a taste to whet your appetite! For more information or to keep up with all the latest news, you can check out any/all of the following:
- Twitter: @DBookFestival
- Instagram: @decaturbookfestival
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/DecaturBookFestival
The Decatur Book Festival is an excellent way to enjoy Labor Day weekend! If you’re in the area, I encourage you to attend!!